Ramadan Observance

Has anyone received a request for accomodation for observance of Ramadan and how did you handle it. (Sorry to be vague, but a. this is my first post and b. I'm getting very confused info from the manager who received the inquiry - something about a floating holy day that depends on the moon.) Also, does anyone know where I can get info re Ramadan?

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-20-02 AT 10:56AM (CST)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-20-02 AT 10:49 AM (CST)[/font]

One of our managers observed Ramadan last week (Pre-Ramadan I think she called it). Ramadan is actually a month long with a start determined by a Lunar calendar. She took a day of vacation. Our policy designates 10 paid specific holidays per year (right or wrong). If an ee wants to be off another day, they must take a vacation day. We have no floating holiday policy, whereas many companies do. No such policy is required, nor is a whole day off with pay suggested by the EEOC as a reasonable religious accommodation. Engaging in prayer several times a day with pay would be a reasonable accommodation for religions that require such. I remain amazed that it has not yet gone to the Supremes to decide on the constitutionality of Christmas holidays but not other religious days.

Edit: You can research this particular holy day by doing a web search either on Ramadan or Islamic Holy Days or Islam.
  • Thanks, that will work for our company as we also have 10 holidays but no floaters. The problem in this case is that the employee has not been here long enough to have earned vacation. His request is for one day off and that he be allowed to "make up" the time. My inclination is that we give the day off and designate it as an excused absence but not create made-up work so that he can recoup the paid hours. Guess this is non-discriminatory and legal?!!
  • The easiest way to have accomplished it would have been to have discussed it prior to hire and have the day granted up front as part of your offer letter. In any event, if you are going to grant the individual a paid day off who has no leave bank, you should be prepared to do the same for any and all others who might request the same accommodation, or you do risk discrimination. My minimal understanding of Ramadan is that it's a Lunar-determined one month period primarily consisting of daylight fasting and charitable acts and avoidance of pleasures. I don't know that it requires observing a day off work.
  • Yes, you are correct the offer letter would have been the best place to address issue. However, HR was the last to know about the offer of employment and he made no mention of requiring any accomodation to the manager. My intent is to give a Excused Absence, Non-Paid. He is requesting overtime to make up the shortfall. But thanks for the good advice and have initiated some changes regarding our policy. Thanks again for the info.
  • Ethel,
    We have employed Somalies for several years. Every year the we get questions about Ramadan. Because they need to pray before sundown every day, we allow the off-shift employees to take a portion of their paid lunch break prior to sundown. We have always allowed them to use their vacation to cover their religious holidays. If they haven't saved their vacation days, we give them an unexcused absence. I agree with Don that at some point the Christian holiday will become a floater and not a specific national observance.
  • A number of years ago we had an employee who observed Ramadan--I don't remember him needing any time off, unless it was to leave a little early on ocassion during the month Ramadan is observed. He was an exempt employee so the early departure did not really matter (and I think he might have come in early to offset the time as it related to his workload).
    What we have done recently with employees who are Jewish or Orthodox (I forget if it's Russian or Greek), is that they use vacation days for any religious holidays they wish to observe. I guess part of our rationale is that they are receiving the benefit of the paid holidays of Christmas and Good Friday.
    I did some checking this spring regarding how to handle the observance of the Orthodox Easter--I found that several other companies and a state agency do the same thing.

• As with your employee, we have five employees working in one of our refill centers who observe Ramadan, but have not needed a day off. I don't really know anything about Ramadan, but intend to search the web for information. I had a Jewish coworker several years ago and she also was required to use vacation days to observe Jewish holidays.
  • Hi Ethel,

Congrats on posting your first post! Be careful, it is addictive (see the Haiku post in HR-de-har-har for solid evidence).

I just wanted to jump in and say thanks for asking such a great question. It sounds like a whole bunch of us have a lot to learn about Ramadan, as well as other other-than-Christian holidays. What a great opportunity to get the ball rolling.

Jessica
  • To Jessica and everyone who responded to my first post -- Thanks so much! That first post makes one a little nervous, I had been reading the forums on a daily basis for some time. I had hesitated to post anything because I thought everyone was so knowledgeable they would think my question stupid. But, everyone was great and gave me such good info that you are right -- I may become addicted (I did on reading the info every morning!). Thanks to every one.
  • FYI--
    I just today found this additional information about Ramadan, which would relate to why the employee would request time off.
    Part of the observance is that it is common for Muslims to go to the mosque to spend several hours praying and studying the Quran (Koran). Also, their fast ends on December 6th with a three-day celebration.
    Just thought I'd share a little knowledge that I picked up today!
  • Whilst my company does not have anyone that observes Ramadan, we certainly have other non-Christian observers. We take the Christmas public holiday but not Good Friday - What we have done is designate one day a year as a religious holiday that the ee can choose, most Christians take Good Friday, Jewish faith take either Yom Kippur or Rosh Hashanah, etc. It works for us.