Refuse to work

What would you do if shop floor employees refuse to work with a gay man or lesbian woman?

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I would dust off my sexual harassment training materials and discuss the companies performance expection with all concerned employees (especially employees refusing to perform).
  • Education first, dealing with performance issues to follow.
  • Refuses to work on what basis? Are there any local ordinances that include sexual preference as a protected class? If so, tread slowly, carefull and with the advise of competent counsel.
  • Whether sexual preference is protected or addressed in your state or not, an employee should not be allowed to refuse to work alongside ANYBODY. This would severely weaken the company's exclusive right to determine who to hire and to what work they are assigned. I wouldn't get too deeply mired in the education process. The refuser already knows where he stands and what his attitude is toward those he dislikes and no amount of education will make a difference and I don't think it's our responsibility to try to alter opinions and attitudes along those lines anyway. Education and training in diversity and non-discrimination is one thing. Trying to convince a boob to change his attitude is quite another. The extent of my education for this employee would be to tell him that he is expected to work with, around and alongside anybody the company chooses to employ and if he cannot or will not do that peacefully and non-discriminatorily and in a non-harassing, non-threatening manner, he needs to find another work environment, and quickly. Tell him there are no second chances and his refusal or non-compliance will not be tolerated.
  • I have to agree with Don on this one. I would advise the refusing employees that this was a "career limiting" attitude and if they wished to continue to work at the faciilty, they have to realize they will be working with all types of individuals. As long as those people do their jobs and don't bother other individuals, then the same is expected of you.
  • I got to say its almost refreshing to see a good old case of people just not liking other people. I am not making light of this situation and the advice above is excellent. I am just amused that despite all the efforts in both our society and within the business realm to preach diversity, we still have and will continue to have people who will refuse to buy in.

I think its important to stress that you are not asking the employee to approve of someone's lifestyle choice but simply to be respectful and courteous at the work place.

Paul
  • This is not a "career limiting" situation. This is a career ending situation. According to our company rules, this would be a case of insubordination. There is no extenuating cause(i.e. danger to health) for the employee to refuse a direct management order. Either they do the job (and do it professionally) or they are out of a job.
  • I agree with Don, inform them of our policies, the behavior that is expected from them, and I would spell out in front of another management witness that if they again refuse to work with any other individuals, the next meeting with HR will be to discuss their termination.

My 2 cents. ;-)