Recalling from RIF - Question of severance pay

[b]Background:[/b]
We had a fairly large RIF in August. We eliminated an entire function which we have found that we still need and want to recall an employee. We paid all employees severance at the time of the RIF (no requirement to sign anything) and the employee in question received 6 weeks severance. This former employee is in her 60's and had fifteen years with the company making her eligible for the maximum severance pay.

We have nothing in our severance policy which describes the process relative to severance pay when an employee is recalled.

[b]Options:[/b]
In the absence of anything in policy and considering that the employee having just had 6 weeks off with pay may not be fair to others, I see three options:
1. Ignore it and the employee has just had a six week paid vacation
2. Require her to repay it (not in policy) as a condition of reemployment
3. Have the employee sign something where she selects the option of paying back the six weeks or agrees that for future situations where severance pay might be offered, her eligibility would be determined from the date of rehire.

[b]Proposed Solution:
My preference, given the lack in policy, would be #3 but I'm wondering if you spot any pitfalls.[/b] With our bridging policy, she will receive full credit for her prior service immediately, given the short time out of work.

Also--for future policy revision, what do other companies do in situations such as this?

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • No, I don't agree with any of your options, except the first part of number 1, which is, ignore it. A few years ago I had the honor of presiding over a really tough, large RIF which had varying numbers of weeks salary in the payouts. Then we turned right around and decided to restaff and rehire a few of them. Nothing shady going on at all, just business. The company totally ignored the fact that these people had just received severence. Our feeling was that the payout was in part given to them to ease the burden of looking for work and also in part to ease the emotional burden. Your lady who got the paid time went through some gut wrenching emotional rollercoaster stuff and the paid time off didn't begin to compensate for it. I suggest moving on and not even considering trying to recover that money. If unoccupied workers there begin to squeal about it, tell them stuff happens. Hopefully it'll never happen to them.
  • What was the intended purpose of severence pay for lay off employees? Did anyone anticipate the need for recall at the on-set of the RIF? Given that severence pay is a part of a RIF action: to gain the support of the employee out-going and to ease the "hurt, pain, and suffering" of the individual while they are trying to carry on a life with a "drop dead" date on a fixed amount of income over a period of time and now you (the company) is about to say "oops,we made a mistake in our expected needs. Please, forget the suffering and personal turmoil that you have experienced and come on back to work and oh by the way, that money we gave you to ease the "hurt, pain, and suffering" you had over the last six weeks, we want you to pay it back! But, please understand we can not take back the discomfort experienced by you over the last six weeks"! Additionally, since your recall is not based on an increase in sales or productivity, but on our mis-calculation of our actual needs during this down turn in business, we choose to keep our options open and let you go next week with no new severence package because we are going to start your rehire date over.

I am your person, and my take is "%#$&*-you" give me a written agreement that says I am not subject to RIF action (eliminated as excess to the company's needs)for the next five years or until I desire to retire unless the executives that made the mistaken decision to make me a part of this past RIF action are also terminated prior to me! Additionally, my six weeks vacation (personal time off with pay) is identified as such and not as a RIF with severence pay. My original hire date is 16 years old and aging.

Bottom line is "call the employee back as a normal recall" and forget the money, re-establish the employees original hire date and appropriate benefits without any strings. I have been through 5 RIFs all were based on a reduction in sales and was given severence pay with all. If any one of the companys had called me to say comeback, I would have jumped at the opportunity. However, if the recall was based on a mistake, I would have been concerned about someone making another mistake.

If once I got back on-board and working I would have been with fresh resume on the streets. The first opportunity that I could bail-out on my own, I would go, even for less pay. Anyone who has written the RIF plan of action and then experienced his/her own RIF action plan, knows exactly how terrible this business action hits home in the heart and mind of people. I hope this helps, Pork
  • Have you any idea how one feels after 15 years of employment to be told that "your services are no longer needed"? The six weeks severance (only 6 weeks?) when you are looking down the long road of unemployment some how doesn't cut it.

Bring the employee back, don't even think about the severance and any current employee that voices an opinion should be reminded how well they slept these pass 6 weeks.

• I agree with Don D, Pork & Ritaanz. Forget about the money.

I can't imagine the person would return if you preface the recall offer with "oh by the way, you're going to have to pay back the severance money you received". If she's an asset to the company and her skills are needed just make the offer to return and leave it at that.
  • Many employers have severance policies that do not allow the employee to "double dip." In other words, if the employee is laid off and gets full severance based on the amount of time in service, then the employee is recalled and later laid off again, severance is based only on the time in service since recall. Similar to your option #3. I don't see why you just don't change the policy to address this situation BEFORE recalling the employee. Then give the employee a copy of the new policy, so that the employee will understand that if she is laid off in the future, severance will be calculated based on her date o recall (not her original hire date).

I don't think there is any basis to ask the employee to pay back the severance she has been paid. I also think it would cause problems, including wage and hour problems. But I see no problem with changing your policy so that a person will not get multiple large severance payments.

Good Luck!!
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 10-01-02 AT 03:02PM (CST)[/font][p]I reckon' I'll go along with Theresa's wisdom on the number 3; but, ONLY if you do it the way she recommends and not have it appear as smoke and mirrors or a shell game. Your company's credibility and reputation and morale are at stake. The severance was peanuts in comparison.