Interviewing

Hello everyone. This is a wonderful forum. I've spent some time reading and you all seem to be very supportive of one another and so passionate about what you do. I'm very impressed with the magnitude of your profession. If I had the means I'd make sure each of you had a lifetime supply of aspirin!

My question concerns my current job search and educational background. Recently I've begun my search in the vast job market and need a little advice. I have a GED and several years as a call center CSR and supervisor. I left that job (Loved it and miss it so much!...sorry had to pout for a moment)for a position in a small office much closer to home. I regretted it from day one but stuck it out for 1.5 years. I can't believe I wasted so much time!

I've been on several interviews over the past few weeks and have been offered a few positions. For various reasons I have declined them (low pay, evening hours [children=day or overnight hours], no challange and so forth). The positions I really liked were the ones where once I make it through the 1st 2nd and sometimes 3rd interview I am told I don't qualify for because I don't have any college behind me. Going back to school costs money and I need money coming in not going out. So going back isn't an option right now.

Questions:
Why would an employer have me interview multiple times for the same position and then reject me because of the education factor when I've clearly stated on the application that I only have a GED? In several interviews I've been asked where I went to school and then everything spirals downhill. I've gotten various comments like.....I assumed you had much more education.....You should take some classes as a matter of fact you should probably teach some classes!...or I would have never suspected you didn't have an extensvie education....but no matter how positive or flattering the comments the interview ends with "will call you" and they don't.

I've designed my resume to read "licenses" instead of "education" and I haven't applied to any positions that state a college degree is needed. Should I specifically state on my resume that I only have a GED?

Is there some other way I can address this issue or another approach I should use?

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Texas Gal,

Great question. Made me think alot about my interviewing/hiring/rejection style.

My guess is that your experience and obvious drive get you through the initial interviews. For whatever reason, you haven't been hired for certain positions. Don't let that get you down. Any desirable position is bound to have a high number of applicants.

When it comes time for them to turn you down, its possible that your lack of college is an easy way out. Its not personal and its hard for you to argue with them about it. This is just speculation.

An ideal job for you would be one where your employer would assist you in pursuing a college degree. You might ask in your next interviews whether the employer has a program for employee education. (Caution: don't bring this up early in the interview. Wait until the interviewer asks if you have any questions.)

If you found a job where they would pay for all or part of your secondary education, you might want to take it even if its not your first choice. Put in your time. Get your degree. Then, go get your dream job!

Stay positive! The dissapointments of the past will make the victories of the future that much sweeter.

[email]paulknoch@hotmail.com[/email]
  • Texas Gal: The answer is obvious, you look good on paper and then you show up and you look good in person. Your resume presented other things more important to the person reviewing the paper than education. I always look more sincerely at the work experience and compare your experiences with the experiences required in our company positions. "College Graduate" is not really a requirement other than it shows that you have intellect and "stick toitiveness" to accomplish something of importance in improving your personal self worth or to run with a special project. I have an undergraduate degree which qualified me to teach school. I have finally, after 30 years reached a level of professional development, where when I teach leadership, employees and management listen not because I have a degree in education but because I have some experiences to teach leadership in a way that is real and not just subjective.

I would not build my resume or application to point out "I ONLY HAVE A GED". In your cover letter: I see where you are interviewing for XYZ, well look no further, I am your person. I am here and ready with the experience necessary to take your position to greater levels of professionalism. That statement is the exact statement used by me to land my present position. In your interviews you should be putting the company interview persons on the spot quickly to make sure they have a history of development of their personnel from within. How many positions are filled from within; does the company provide education asistance to those needing special education to do certain work; or does the need for college education drive the decision process in this company.

In each of those thoughts you see I would have to respond that we respect "actual doing" greater than we do college degrees. A college degree is not the means to an end. In our Manager in Training program we put both the college degreed and GED and drop outs in the same program. The adult "drop out" has a greater appreciation for the need to personally produce something of value in oder to make it as a successful manager. It would not surprise me that the outcome in comparsion over the long haul will be that the "drop Out" will either be the very best or he/she will be a "drop out". I have had master degreed graduates "drop out" because they could not take the hard physical work required to be a success in our business. I have had college graduates "drop out" because they finally woke up and discovered that this field of vocation is not where I really want to be. The GED person is usually the one that will be here for the long haul and will produce greater results. Again, all of the above does not fit in every situation. Good luck, I hope this has helped. Pork
  • I agree with the responses given. First, it is an easy way out for a company to simply state that you weren't selected due to your education. I guess I would be concerned as to why they had you come back for a second interview knowing that your education level consisted of a GED? Second, use your resume to get you into the interview. In other words, don't identify that your maximum education level is a GED. Get the interview and then sell yourself. For the most part, I would think that most employers use a competency model versus prerequisites when it comes to hiring. This alone helps avoid litigation when it comes to a question of negligent hiring.
    I know it gets frustrating but don't give up! The right position will come along. It was also mentioned that there are a number of applicants for every position announced. I can assure you this is the case. Find something that puts you above the rest and taylor it to the company and position you're applying for. Good luck!
  • The companies must have liked you if they brought you back for more than one meeting. I think the hardest part of job seeking is getting the initial interview. Once you get the phone call that they're interested, the face-to-face meetings are for you to sell yourself.

I would never waste my (or the applicants) time on a second interview if I wasn't truly interested in the candidate. My guess is that they had two qualified candidates for the position and, unfortunately, you lost out because the other candidate probably had some formal education.

Don't put you only have a GED on your resume. You might want to attach a letter of recommendation from one or two of your former employers to your resume as a testimonial of your skills. Don't get discouraged, someone will recognize your value.
  • Texas Gal,
    I canot offer any advice that has not been posted already, but I can say that I agree with the others. Don't let the process get you down. You indictated that you are not applying to positions that state "college degree required" and you are being honest in your resume. Interviewing is tough - I live in Texas as well, and with the amount of layoffs we have been having, there are a lot of qualified people looking for jobs. Keep your chin up and the right one will come along.
  • I appreciate all your responses. They were all very kind.
    I've decided to go with an employment agency called Appleone.
    I interviewed there yeaaterday and went back today to discuss my tests scores.
    I surprised myself and impressed them so that in itself was a good feed for
    my narcissistic side! Again...thank you.

• Well, there you go. Congratulations! Does this company offer educational assistance? Something tells me you didn't ask. Oh well, not all my brilliant suggestions are used.

• >Well, there you go. Congratulations! Does this company offer
    >educational assistance? Something tells me you didn't ask. Oh well,
    >not all my brilliant suggestions are used.

What they'll do is place me (help me find a position) in a company I like. One of the things I will be looking for is education assistance.

• Texas Gal, You need now to understand the other side of the story! I for one HR and probably the only one, "do not use Search Firms". When I was a retail HR for 8 years the company used search firms and spent lots of dollars because they had gotten into the habit. My first year as the company HR we spent over $250,000.00 getting management employees. The second year we spent only $35,000.00 and the third we spent $0.00 simply because I became the HR and we did not need search firms anymore that is the HR responsibility. Ever since, I have resisted using search or personnel placement services. Keep pressing forward on your own at the same time! Pork
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 10-03-02 AT 08:18AM (CST)[/font][p]I also suggest you continue looking on your own while having the search firm look for you. You may even get a better salary since the placement fee is based on a percentage of salary and a company may try to keep costs down by offering a lower salary when using an employment agency.

I have cut my use of placement agencies way down for a couple of reasons. Cost is one. The large number of applicants available to me is another. A third is that I found agencies often send applicants that are way off the mark for the position, a waste of time and frustrating to me and disappointing to the applicant. (I think some of them believe if they throw enough up against the wall, one will stick.)

Bottom line, keep looking on your own. Don't close any doors. Good Luck! x:D
  • Yes I agree about agencies sending people that aren't suited for the job. As a prior supervisor for a large call center I did my time in the hiring process. Apparently at one point they were just accepting the people that the agencies sent the company. They would run them through training. If the new hire survived they often didn't last a week on the floor. It takes a special type of person to sit at a desk and have every phone call, break, lunch, potty emergency, and free moment w/o an incomming call scrutinized. Agencies should take care with that sort of thing. Once we started actually interviewing these people we did much better. I came in about that time and although it was new to me I did a decent job. We got some good people through agencies and direct hires but we got some odd ones as well.

It still just amazes me what some people think of as good customer service (she says shaking her head and wondering if there is another beer left in the fridge to dull the memories). I think I've probably seen and heard some of the worst customer service on Earth. These same people who anger every customer they talk to seem to have problems in every other area of their lives as well.

My promise to each and every HR person in the vast universe......I promise not to let my sons grow up to be whinny victimized over sensitive slackers. Cross my heart.

Tammy Steadman
  • Amen Pork. I too have steadfastly refused to use search firms. As far as I can tell they charge a large sum of money for a fairly straightforward task that can be done better in house. I've never used them on my own job searches either (or at least not with any result.) When they call me I tell them that that's what they pay me for. x:D
  • Texas Girl,

Everyone is right about continuing your own job search, but signing up with the search firm was an excellent idea. While I didn't use them a lot, I did on occasion use them and have clients who use them regularly. I also had one headhunter find me a great job. Open as many doors as possible. That's the secret to finding what you want. Good luck!

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]