calendars

Recently while walking through our shop I noted scantily clad women (swimsuit) calendars on several of the machinists toolboxes. We have just completed Sexual Harassment Prevention training so I thought that this would be a good time to broach this issue with the group. I then proceeded to direct them to remove these items from view as they had the potential to offend someone passing through the area.

Their response was: they didn't feel that it was appropriate to have to remove these items because no one had complained yet.

I would like the benefit of your past experience and responses to this issue.

Thank you

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-12-02 AT 01:21PM (CST)[/font][p]pecohr,

Stay tuned for tomorrow's edition of HR Hero Line. The feature article ("Is it offensive or not?") provides an interesting solution for this type of situation.

Anyone may sign up for or get more info on HR Hero Line, our free weekly e-mail newsletter, at [url]www.hrhero.com/enewsletter.shtml[/url]

Christy Reeder
    Website Managing Editor
    [url]www.HRhero.com[/url]
  • Christy,
    Thank you I will watch for that item.

I would still like to hear how others are or have addressed this issue.

Stuart
  • The concept of "prevention" is to create an environment in which claims of sexual harassment will not arise. Thus, there would be no one objecting to the conduct. If some one had objected, then by definition it was not prevented.

What this all means is that it is ok to say to these employees, "Tough, we don't want it here."

I want to be clear that I am not saying that what these employees have been doing constitutes sexual harassment or that it arises to the level of sexual harassment. It is, however, the type of conduct when coupled with other conduct used to demonstrate that an employer tolerated a "sexually charged" work environment. There are a number of ways to deal with this issue and I am sure that Christy will provide some excellent suggestions.

• The Plant Manager should be telling these employees to remove the pictures.
  • 1. Look at your company policy. If it says things like that are prohibited, tell 'em to take 'em down and comply with policy.

2. If there is no policy, write one and them implement it.

3. If you can't do the above, have someone complain.
  • This is called being PRO-active. Head off the problem before it becomes a problem and someone does complain.
  • On July 18, I sent this memo to all departmental managers. "As you make your rounds in the departmental areas under your immediate supervision, please verify that sexually explicit calendars, caricatures, jokes or photographs are not posted on the walls or anywhere in the work area. Sexually offensive calendars include those with photographs of people in scant or revealing clothing from tool companies and other sources and can result in or bolster charges of harassment. In some cases, such items have been pivotal in places of business losing hostile environment/sexual harassment lawsuits. Regardless of the source of the material or reason given for such postings, it is our responsibility as managers to see that they do not remain in the workplace. If there are questions, please advise." For awhile I was most unpopular with the mechanics in the shops, some of the engineers and at least one female customer service rep who had nearly nude male photos on her cubicle wall. It cuts both ways. In a followup meeting I called the memo "My $250,000 memo", and explained why. Most did not have a clue but now do. I'd much rather tell a judge or hearing officer that we have proactively approached a harassment free workplace than to tell him, "Sure, I've seen them, but, nobody complained." As with ADA and FMLA, it is the role of HUMAN RESOURCES to proactively address and MANAGE sexual harassment prevention in the workplace. If that requires an enforcement mentality, simply choose that hat off your hatrack and put it on. It's part of the job that can't be shirked, delegated or ignored.
  • I appreciate your comments and now feel even more vindicated that the action I took was both appropriate and even more important the right thing to do.

thanks,
    Stuart

I'm sharing your input with the managers and lead people in our company as I believe they truely think I just make this stuff up!
  • And I thought I was the only one with this problem...

I work for an international company where most of the
    Management and supervisors are not from the U.S.,
    therefore they just don't "get it" when I tell them
    when they're heading for trouble.
  • Bob brings up a good point. We're talking about 'mentalities'. I can easily say, "Well, that's the mentality of most of our mechanics and electricians", and Bob points to the mentality of those not from the U.S. What it boils down to, I think, is education. It's my responsibility to educate the mechanics and electricians and others in my world and Bob knows it's his where he works. It's equally tough. Both are difficult. We have an international salesman from Columbia. Bless his heart he is the apple of everyone's eye and a charming middle aged gentleman whom we all love. The other day, he calls the H.R. Assistant into my office beaming, all smiles, overjoyed motions to her as he would his own daughter and tells me, "Don, you hire such beautiful womans, Miss S___ is so pleasure to look at and I want to thank you from my heart." Of course she is not and was not offended and I had the role of trying to educate this fine South American gentleman why he was wrong to compliment the lady or how it could have been perceived, and after all, that was exactly what he was doing, complimenting her. He actually teared up when I got into an explanation of America's sexual harassment laws. What a world. Explicit calendars in tool boxes are quite a different matter I think. There are people who need educating and then there are bone heads.
  • Apparently someone needs to remind the machinists who makes the work rules! Some issues are not open for debate. The previous posts are right--this is called being PROACTIVE.