appropriate attire or rather (unappropriate)

We have an ee who dresses in a very provacative manner i.e. sheer blouses with dark undergarments, short shorts, etc.

I have just completed Sexual Harassment seminars for our employees and during these sessions we addressed appropriate attire in the workplace (we are a manufacturing facility). This ee is clueless that her attire falls into the inappropriate category. She is often a regular topic of the day with staff through out the company, example: have you see Judy's (not real name) outfit today???

Our dress code pretty much just addresses safety related items like safe shoes.

How have you handled this issue in your workplace?

thanks,

Comments

• 20 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-10-02 AT 01:21PM (CST)[/font][p]We state in our handbook (as well as a sign posted in breakroom) that anything revealing, extreme or suggestive is not appropriate in any department. We also say no tank tops, spaghetti straps or halter/tube tops. Sleeveless shirts are okay. Anything that shows undergarmets is not okay (ie shear material). Skirts and shorts have to be at the least 4 inches from the knee to the hem. All clothes need to "fit properly" as well (ie no "rapper style" jeans, etc.). Everyone is provided with a handbook when they're hired as well as a statement to sign (that is kept in their personnel file) saying they received the book and will familiarize themselves with the policies.
    I would suggest revamping your handbook in this area. Then when you redistribute make sure everyone gets a copy along with a form to sign (again, to be kept in their personnel file) stating they have received the revised copy of the handbook and will familiarize themselves with any new policies. It would be a good idea to hold a meeting (or several meetings if a large comp.) addressing "all" of the changes to the handbook.
    Or you could simply pull her aside and tell her that although the company wants to promote individual expression when it comes to dress code, that her current attire is distracting others in the workplace and thus decreasing production, maybe even offending other workers, etc. Focus on WORKPLACE ISSUES her attire is affecting. This can really get out of hand if another employee comes to you stating seeing "Judy's" undergarmets through her shear shirt is sexual harassment. Best to do something as soon as possible.
    Cinderella
  • This ee is clueless that her attire
    falls into the inappropriate category.

Sure she's clueless. I'll open myself up for stoning by the crowd and say that I've found that a dress code can only work when a female is in charge of enforcing it. A woman snatching another aside to counsel her about inappropriate attire works every time. It's no-man's land for a male. The killers are 'appropriate attire', 'expected to dress in good taste', 'not too revealing', 'cannot be suggestive', 'in line with customer expectations', etc. Not to mention sandals being appropriate for ladies but not for men in offices.

• Don, I thought I was the only one who knew that!

I'd rather poke my own eyes out with lead pencils than have to tell a female employee that her skirt is too short, or her blouse is too sheer. At least, that's my excuse for not telling them! ;)

• Hey Don!

I once worked for a facility where their dress code policy stated that "male employee are not allowed to wear earrings". The HR Professional (I use that term loosely) didn't see anything wrong with it.
  • I don't think you need to revise your entire employee handbook. I would issue a revised dress code policy.

I had a female employee who wore white stretch pants with a thong. The tongues were wagging that day. I had the pleasure of having to sit this person down and explain to her the importance of full panties. I sent her home to change.

I post the dress code every Spring . . . that seems to be the time of year when clothing (or lack of it) becomes a problem. My current dress code policy states no sheer clothing, spaghetti straps, and proper undergarments must be worn. (I felt it important to add the "proper undergarments" statement after the above incident.)

It's amazing to me that some people don't know the difference between work and a night club.

I am a female HR Manager, but can feel for the male HR people who have to counsel female employees about proper dress.

• I didn't suggest revamping the entire handbook, just that section. :)
    Cinderella
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-10-02 AT 03:29PM (CST)[/font][p]>
    >I am a female HR Manager, but can feel for the male HR people who have
    >to counsel female employees about proper dress.

Not on your life, Lady! Not today, no way. Unless there's videotape rolling and 3 witnesses, one of them my wife. This is where I put my 'enforcement mentality', as Gillian called it, on pause.

• It's too bad that we have to feel and act this way, but it seems to be the way of the world and it affects all areas of employment. I guess things are not "simple" anymore. My husband is a teacher and I hear the trials and tribulations of male teachers today. You can't have a private conversation with a student without witnesses for your own protection, and if the student is female, you have to be doubly protective. My husband once reached out and grabbed the arm of a boy who was running away from the VP down the halls. The next day, he was called in to the principal's office, with a sheriff who was there to take statements about an "abuse" incident that was reported. Luckily this incident was witnessed by many teachers and a VP, but it goes to show you what little things can happen.

• Rule #1 You will never publish a dress code that will cover everything. We simply state that employees are expected to use common sense and good taste in their professional attire. We also state if the supervisor deems the dress is appropriate, the employee will be sent home to change without pay. Also, any member of sr. management can send an employee home for the same reason (if the supervisor is too much of a weenie to address it).

Rule #2 I have found that you have a certain segment of people who are "clueless" about dress (ala Britney Spears' influence), but then you have the ones that "push the envelope" to see how far they can go without anyone saying anything.

In the absence of a formal dress code policy, I would simply take the employee aside and advise that her address is inappropriate for a professional setting and she needs to go home immediately and change. I would also advise her if she came to work again dressed inapproprately, it would lead to further disciplinary action.

This is the type person who would be the first to scream sexual harassment if a male made a "lewd" comment to her (even though that is probably what her motive is to begin with).

Good luck. This is not a fun thing to deal with.
  • Our dress code is similar to the one listed above, but we add one thing. If an employee's attire makes other employees feel uncomfortable or offends them, or if we believe it will offend a client, the employee goes home. We have one of those "clueless" employees. Yesterday we had dress down in red, white and blue (employees paid a can of food for the local Rescue Mission to be involved). This employee paid her can of food, but dressed like she was going to a 4th of July party...mini-skirt, bangle bracelets, etc. When an employee complained, I had to check the length of the skirt. The rule is, 2 employees (and I can be one of them) have to be uncomfortable with the attire. By the way, this employee is in her 40's with great legs, but this is the 3rd time in the last 4 years I have had to tackle the length of her skirt (a good 8-9 inches above her knee).
  • This is the craziest policy I have ever heard of. "Two employees must object to someone's attire and if so, the ee goes home"? Somebody had better get a clue and trash the policy. Diversification in the workplace and the inherent sensitivities that come into play make that policy a dinosaur. Two Hindu, Muslim or for that matter, Menonite employees, will naturally object to lots of the dress that you and I consider 'normal'. If they were to voice their objection to you, based on religious principles, to makeup, skirts, jewelry or toenail polish, would you send the 'offender' home? Certainly not. I don't know much about such religions, but, I am sure some of them are offended daily, hourly. I can also tell you that a large segment of our workforce would be offended by an Arab employee who wears his or her traditional garb but I sure as hell would not send the employee home. I know you're talking about skirt length and great legs; however, the policy is fatally flawed and you will not be able to defend it. x:-)
  • The two employees is more of a rule of thumb rather than a written in stone kind of thing, but telling an employee that her garb is objectionable or offensive to other employees is easier if there is more than one who is offended (after all, the first one to complain is usually the most conservative and oldest employee in the office who happens not to like the employee with the short skirts). And, explaining that clothing is offensive is easier than trying to explain just why something is not appropriate for the office, especially to a clueless employee. We have a small office so running into "religious" themes has never been a problem (so far), but of course someone's objection based upon ethnic or religious grounds would not even be considered. I guess I expected you to read between the lines just a little too much. Objectionable clothing always comes back to 'good taste and suitable for office.'
  • Aw Don.....you have hurt my feelings. No, actually, what we are addressing in our workplace are showing too much skin, wearing stained clothing, torn or nasty looking sneakers. We don't even pretend to get into the religion type issues, which, or course, there are allowances made for such things.

Fortunately, most of our employees are clinical and they wear scrubs or labcoats - it's the admin employees who are specially told they cannot wear certain items i.e., jeans (we had to specify "jeans" not "blue" jeans. People would wear black jeans.; they are specially told they cannot wear skirts shorter than a certain length; non-clinical employees cannot wear sneakers unless they have a medical reason to do so.

We do actually have a specified dress code "policy" and if supervisors or managers feel an employee has seriously "violated" these "rules", they are usually counseled first not to wear certain items and if they persist, they can be sent home without pay.

Sorry I wasn't clear on this.
  • At places I've worked, we have written dress codes that specify the types of clothing that are authorized to be worn, including no see thru stuff.
  • I think no matter how strict a dress code is someone in some department is going to push the limits. The fashion of today (low rider jeans, crop tops, etc.) push the limits themselves. Although unappropriate for work, some people just don't see it that way. Humor me and let me share a story with you. We have any employee that wears todays fashions and basically has the body to do it but has significant junk in the trunk. She showed up one day wearing low ride short shorts and a purple thong. How do I know it was purple you ask...well imagine my surprise when walking down the hallway I look up to see her bent over filing. Boy did I have an eyefull and I wasn't the only one blessed with this sight. It became the talk of the office. Now, I myself would be so embarassed, I would have left and NEVER came back. But not being of the younger generation that thinks leaving nothing to surprise is okay, I guess I'd be called a prude.
  • When I worked for a very large financial institution, part of my orientation every monday for roughly 20 new hires was to explain the dress code. I always made a joke out of it, but it got my message across. I would point out that the dress code required "professional dress", then I would go on to say that "I apparently didn't go far enough in that description....I forgot to add which profession. When you walk up the stair behind someone and you can tell what color their underwear is, the dress is to short!"
  • Once we had a young lady come to work in our housekeeping department wearing boxers and a t shirt. I gently explained that most people still think of boxers as underwear and asked her to go put on something else.

Our dress code is clear but that doesn't mean everyone will abide by it.

[email]paulknoch@hotmail.com[/email]

• Speaking of which, quoting John Ritter in an advertisement for his new sitcom (whatever it is) he tells his daughter, "...and that slingshot you're wearing under your skirt...I know why your generation is so angry, you all have a permanent wedgie!"
  • Hardy har har! Hey now though, not all of us 20-somethings dress like that x;-)
    However, I personally feel that if I can see a woman's "T back" when she bends over to file something then either her low riders are a little toooooo low or her shirt is not long enough!
    Cinderella
  • Correct on both. Please forgive me for stereotyping all twenty somethings.