Salary Confidentiality and Employee Handbooks & Policies

My organization has a policy outlined in the employee handbook that reads as follows:

"Confidential Employment Information
All information as it relates to the status of employment is confidential and may not be shared with other employees. This includes, but is not limited to salary, bonuses, and other types of compensation. It is a violation of policy to obtain, possess, and/or distribute confidential personnel information.

Disregard or failure to comply could lead to disciplinary action, including termination. Any employee aware of the possession or distribution of such information should notify Human Resources as soon as they become aware of the situation. Withholding such knowledge is also considered a violation of the policy."

I've read many posts on this board stating that this might be illegal, but we had a lawyer review the entire handbook sometime ago and nothing was mentioned about this policy. An employee of ours (non-management) has been discussing salaries, both her own and that of others, and we are considering terminating her. Is this advisable? Should we change the policy? My company is in an 'employment at will' state.

Comments

• 22 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • This is a violation of the national labor relations act. Just having the policy is a violation because it has a chilling effect on the employees rights.

Employees have a right to discuss the terms and conditions of employment, including salaries. The thought is that employees have a right to get together and complain about the company. This law applies to your company whether you have a labor union or not.

So I would not fire the employee for it, and I would change the policy. (The only employees who should be disciplined for sharing this type of information would be employees who have the information because of their job [for example payroll clerk] and share the pay of others without consent; that would be a violation of that employee's duty to keep the information related to others confidential). However, an employee can always share their own pay information.

You may want to take that section back to the attorney with a specific question about the labor laws. Although you may not believe it, attorneys are human too, and in a long employment manual can easily miss that issue.

Good Luck!!

• As usual, Theresa is exactly right. But, even if it were not a violation of the NLRA, your policy, as written would make it a firing offense for one to posess one's own confidential personnel information. I suspect that's been in your manual for a long, long time, but it must come out right away. Speaking of lawyers making mistakes, Theresa, today's joke going around is about an engineer showing up at the Pearly Gates and St. Peter sends him to Hell. Later God discovers that was a mistake and he calls Satan and demands the return of the engineer. Satan says, "Ha, no way". God threatens saying, "If the engineer is not returned, I shall SUE!" Satan then asks, "Now where are YOU going to get a lawyer?" x:-)
  • A few of my colleagues seem to think that we can fire the employee despite the NLR Act because of the nature of what she did. The employee in question came across a list of salaries and shared it with others. The list was left in an area the was not restricted and the employee would have been in this area in the course of their job.

Some colleagues maintain that we can terminate her because she shared information about others salaries without their consent. Still others maintain that because we have a policy that violates the Act, because the employee was not a person who had a duty to keep this type of information confidentional (they were not in payroll or HR), and because the employee found the information in an unrestricted area we should not fire the employee (or even discipline her for that matter) and we should eliminate this policy from the handbook.

We probably need to consult with an attorney but I would appreciate any input before doing so.
  • Still others >maintain that because we have a policy that violates the Act, because >the employee was not a person who had a duty to keep this type of
    >information confidentional (they were not in payroll or HR), and
    >because the employee found the information in an unrestricted area we
    >should not fire the employee (or even discipline her for that matter)
    >and we should eliminate this policy from the handbook.

I think what you say above is exactly the guidance an attorney will give you. It sounds like it is right out of the mouth of an NLRB staff attorney. It would be a giant stretch-exercise in hair splitting to try and fire the employee based simply on the facts that the information was not her own and she had no business discussing it. You won't win my friend.

• Even though I think that the policy violates the NRLA and you are in a no win situation if you fire the employee and she makes a claim; as a practical matter, something must be done about what this employee did. The company could easily do something short of termination (in which case the risk of her filing any type of claim would be very little, and even if she did, she really suffered no damages, so it could be a big so what).

I would at a minimum talk to the employee about her actions and counsel her that if she ever finds confidential personnel information lying around, she is not to share it with others, but should turn it into HR. You could even ask her how she would feel if it happened to her without her consent (for example, if another employee saw her last review, and shared the comments with others). Her supervisor could tell her that she is disappointed in her behavior and expected her to be more professional (a little guilting can be a good thing).
    I would not bring up the policy that violate the NLRA, but just talk about general business ethical type conduct. The employer also may want to write her up for the conduct.

So I think you can take a practical approach, that addresses the behavior of the employee, but has little risk to the employer.

Good Luck!

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-25-02 AT 10:17AM (CST)[/font][p]Any more input on this topic would be helpful. Especially around how far the NLRB takes this and if it would be worth it to fight or just give the employee her job back.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-25-02 AT 10:26AM (CST)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-25-02 AT 10:25 AM (CST)[/font]

Theresa is an attorney and I think she has given you excellent practical advice. The risks are well outlined for you as is the relevant law (NLRA). If you are hellbent on terminating this employee (it sounds as if 'somebody' is) you would be safer exploring other ways not related to this ticky legal issue of discussing salaries. Her attorney will point out to you in court that it is irrelevant how she came by the information, whether she picked it up in the cafeteria under a table, or gained it through conversation, she has a protected right under the Act if she chooses to mention it in discussions. Termination for violating an illegal policy is shakey at best. At least another month has passed, which would further destroy the credibility of a decision to terminate for that particular offense.
    (edit)
    As far as trying to guess what the NLRB agent will or won't do and looking to a crystal ball to read how they might pursue it, there is no benefit to that exercise. It will depend on many unknowns, such as: What the NLRB area office has backlogged, who represents her case to the Board, which agent gets it assigned to him/her, the energy level of that person, the ambition of the complainant, the agent's need for another notch (you appear to be one), the blatant violation of your policy as assessed by the agent and his superior, and on and on. If you have already fired her for this violation, cross your fingers. If you have not, don't. These suggestions are from someone who could not sit down for a week after our last NLRB trial. Or was it two weeks? x:-)
    (edit)
    P.S: I hope your company has replaced the attorney who reviewed your handbook and did not challenge that policy statement.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-26-02 AT 09:16AM (CST)[/font][p]

• Everybody above is correct; however, In our field of HR this is one of those areas where the company has always had the policy and, in fact, I brief and enroll every new employee with their signature that this is a terminal offense. Out of the 182 employees in my present company, I and my assistant HR person are the only employees who know that we can never use this policy for termination. It does in fact help to keep the information private and confidential to some degree. In my 25 years in this business in small rural Mississippi communities I have never seen an employee in my company to get terminated as a result of this policy violation. I know it can not be done and the company win! Management likes this policy and so it has stayed around. At every review with our retained attorneys it has come up and we have retained the policy for the purpose of an initial attempt set the new employee's mind in the right frame of reference to keep personal and business topics confidential. Good luck Richard
  • Sounds to me like posting 10mph signs on the interstate. Then, before you know it, even the 70mph signs are ignored. The newest of NLRB Agents can tear a handbook and your credibility apart on the stand if you knowingly have illegal policies. Even more savory to them will be your admission that you knew they were illegal, had no intention to enforce them, and were merely attempting, all the while, to intimidate the employee into abiding by them. We'll agree to disagree Pork.
  • Well, as you may have surmised from my post, the employee was fired, it was out of my control. The employee subsequently filed for unemployment and unbeknownst to me, the reason we gave the unemployment commission for her termination was 'gave a copy of payroll to an unauthorized individual'. It really wasn't payroll, it was a file that one of our accounting personnel was using for budgeting, basically a list of salaries. We're still not sure how she got it (she wasn't in hr, payroll, or accounting). However, she did give an actual physical copy to others, she didn't just discuss the contents, I don't know if this is material.

Does this reason given to the unemployment commission help or hurt a potential case with the NLRB? At an executive's insistance, an e-mail citing the specific policy prohibiting salary discussions (posted earlier) was distributed to the entire company 2 hours after the employee was terminated, seemingly as a threat to anyone who had the 'list' (although this is not the official reason for the 'reminder', one can put two and two together). I think this is especially damaging, but I've heard nothing from the NLRB as of yet.
  • I don't think what was put on the claims questionnaire will damage you with the NLRB. They will jump on things like giving two totally different reasons for termination though, or changing the reason over time for your own purposes. I don't think you have that. Giving payroll to an unauthorized person, I think, will translate to what she actually did. The NLRB, if they get involved, will be weighing your policy prohibiting the discussion among employees of their wages as a tool in the process of collective bargaining discussions, AGAINST, the company's act of terminating her for disclosing to others confidential company reports. It seems there is a definite bright line between the two. Depending on the Agent, she may be allowed to hide behind the NLRA prohibition. I'd like to see you fight it all the way if they do that. I would hope the judge would rule that "Although employer's stated policy is in violation of the act, the termination of the employee was in response to the larger violation of disclosing or circulating what she knew to be a confidential company document." Am I looking for logic? Sure.
  • >Sounds to me like posting 10mph signs on the interstate. Then, before
    >you know it, even the 70mph signs are ignored. The newest of NLRB
    >Agents can tear a handbook and your credibility apart on the stand if
    >you knowingly have illegal policies. Even more savory to them will be
    >your admission that you knew they were illegal, had no intention to
    >enforce them, and were merely attempting, all the while, to intimidate
    >the employee into abiding by them. We'll agree to disagree Pork.

EXACTLY, Don. Pork, how can you so blatantly disregard the law?
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-27-02 AT 06:30AM (CST)[/font][p]Unfortunately I have to disagree with DonD. There are two NLRB decisions related to cases of confidentiality of an employee wage or wage increase list. In one case, a woman found the list on a copy machine and shared it with others. In the other case, a man copied down some salaries from documents in his supervisors office and discussed them with others. In both cases the NLRB ruled that since the employees found the information during their normal course of business and the employer promulgated an illegal rule, the terminations were illegal and the employees were reinstated. The Board took into account the employers illegal policy when weighing the issue of confidentiality. Furthermore they stated that leaving a document on a copy machine or a desk somewhat diminishes the confidentiality of the document since the employer did not have enough controls around the information to protect it. Was it just salary information or did it truly contain 'payroll' information such as tax information, bank information, etc.? If it was just salary information it makes it harder to call it confidential payroll information.

Also, it would seem hard to argue that you terminated the employee for one reason when you sent out a 'policy reminder' on a different policy immediately upon terminating the employee. While you can argue the two were disconnected, it is not very persuasive. Has your company ever terminated someone before for violation of confidentiality policies? If not, you'll have a tougher time. I'm sure at some point someone crossed the confidentiality line, if you just disciplined or warned that person but fired this one, it won't add up, at least in the eyes of the Board.

It may not be logical, but who said the NLRB is?
  • This used to be common policy with companies "way back when" before the NLRB got involved. On this front, I would certainly have this policy taken out of the handbook

This employee got her hands on information through the error of others; if she was an honorable person,she would have brought it straight to either payroll or HR. However, as with lots of employees, it's like gossip, much too tantalizing to keep to oneself, so she passed it on. This was most the error of the person who left the confidential information unsecured.

I believe this person would have a case for wrongful termination under these facts. Even though it was not "the right thing" for her to do, I can't see where she could be terminated for this.

I was suspicious of some of our folks who have access to payroll passing on information to their buddies which caused issues. I brought them in as a group and advised them that they could discuss their own salaries with God and everybody, but if I found out they were passing information on about other individuals' salaries, I would not hesitate to recommend their immediate termination. They actually thought this was a protected right! I haven't had any complaints since then....but this is another story.

• It's been my experience that the NLRB tends to side with the employee in matters such as this. I don't know the size and resources, nor the expertise of any legal representation, your organization may have, but the NLRB has virtually unlimited resources. They are part of the federal government after all.

This employee probably wasn't aware of the NLRB rules and will most likely go about their business without filing any claims. If this employee does end up filing a claim, my opinion is that you would face a long uphill battle. Is it really worth it to expend the time and resources to fight it? That's your call. But if this the employee's only infraction, you might want to think about taking them back or otherwise settling. And do yourself a favor and change the handbook!

Remember, free advice is worth the price.

• This employee has filed a claim with the NLRB, we were contacted by both the former employee herself and the NLRB. What is the best course of action? In speaking with the NLRB they seemed heavy handed in their line of questioning. My question is this, should we fight this all the way through as DonD suggests or would it be easier (and cheaper) for us to reach some sort of settlement with the ex-employee (short of reinstatement)? Any thoughts? My company may be in the right but we will have siginificant time and expense wrapped up in this if it drags out.

• Here's my response on September 26 and it stands today. "I'd like to see you fight it all the way if they do that. I would hope the judge would rule that "Although employer's stated policy is in violation of the act, the termination of the employee was in response to the larger violation of disclosing or circulating what she knew to be a confidential company document." Am I looking for logic? Sure."

I would at least press that position in the initial written response to the charge or suggest this to your attorney. Don't go it alone with the NLRB. Those guys shuffling that paper and talking to you on the phone are attorneys! Although they refer to themselves as agents and may pretend to be clerical in their responsibilities, they ain't. I don't think they would go for anything less than 'return to the job with back pay'. Unless you really want to pay a bunch to keep her out. Going with your attorney's guidance is the only way to proceed now. The last thing you want to do is go another few steps alone only to have an attorney later tell you that you should have contacted him/her prior to doing that. Good luck. What a Christmas present for you!
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 12-04-02 AT 02:08PM (CST)[/font][p]The NLRB is going to ask for back pay, reinstatement, that the employer rescind the unlawful policy, and that the employer post a notice to all employees about the violation.

If your former employee wants her job back, it is going to be hard to settle without reinstatement -- if the employee has found a job, you could probably settle for backpay, a posting, and rescinding the policy.

Unfortunately, unless you can show that the employee definately knew the information was confidential, you will probably have a hard time. The labor board is hard on employers with these illegal rules. Your attorney (which you need to hire to help you respond), could probably give you some specific case examples.

Here is something all employers need to keep in mind about having these unenforceable policies that violate the NLRA:

If any employee tries to get a union in, the first thing that will happen is that the union will ask that employee to give it a copy of the handbook. The union attorneys will then scoure the handbook for provision like this that violate the law.

Once they find the provision, they can file a charge with the labor board about the violation of the law. They may also encourge a salt (a person the union has planted) to flagrently violate the provision and get fired, so that the salt can file a charge and get reinstated.

This way, the union can kick off their campaign with a WIN against the big, bad employer.

So there is a downside to having the policy, even if you don't plan to enforce it.

Good Luck!
  • One additional thought. Getting sued by the government is a bit like dancing with a Gorilla -- you don't stop when you are tired, you stop when the Gorilla is tired.

I'll admit, I cleaned that up for public consumption. But the point is, you now have the federal government prosecuting a claim against you. The federal government has inexhaustable resources, and is a bit of a bully. Like when you were little and you asked your parents "why do I have to . . .", and their answer was "Because I said so . . ." The federal government has been known to expect you to comply "Because we are the govenment, and we say so . . ." You didn't like it when your parents did it and you won't like it when the government does it. But you can save a lot of time and money by trying to work out a deal with the big Gorilla, rather than trying to beat it down! Here you already have one strike against you, because you know your policy violated the law.

Remember what Voltaire said:

There were 2 times when I was financially ruined. The first time was when I lost a lawsuit, and the second time was when I won one.

Good Luck!
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 12-04-02 AT 10:48PM (CST)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 12-04-02 AT 10:41 PM (CST)[/font]

Thank you for the advice, we will definately be contacting out attorney on this. I don't think the union issues will really play a factor in this, this employee was white collar (as are most of our employees) but was in a staff position, not managerial. Is the fact that the employee is white collar make a difference?

One other thing that the NLRB asked was in regards to the questioning the the employee that was fired as well as the people that were questioned as part of the investigation. We asked these employees if they were sharing salary information, actually we specifically asked if they had 'seen or shared the salary list'. Is this an issue?

Also, this ex-employee has apparently found other work. Is it illegal to contact their new employer and let them know the circumstances under which they left? This would certainly make her think twice about proceeding. I highly doubt she told them the whole story, but our HR group was never contacted for a reference. I also doubt she would want her job back given the circumstances.

My management team would like this to go away quietly, they certainly don't want to do a posting to all employees. Does the NLRB or claimant (charging party I guess) decide on the settlement? I think we could make it go away if it were up to the employee.

• The worst thing you could do it contact her new employer and tell them that she was fired for cause and give them details. Rejoice in the fact that she has a new job. That makes it much more likely that this can go away quickly and cheaply. She's moved on and she has mitigated most of her damages. Contacting the new employer can only lead to bad things for your company -- if she is fired by her new employer, you can bet she'll sue your company for defamation or tortious interference with contracts or the labor board may find that you contacted her new employer in retaliation for her bringing a claim (which will only incense the investigator).

There are a lot of factors that can effect the labor board's decision in a case like this. For example, did the employee know that the information was inadvertantly left out, what was the employee's motive in sharing the information, what were the employee's job duties, did other employees complain about their pay being discussed, etc. Your attorney will go over them with you carefully. Supervisors and management personnel are not covered by the NLRA, but an administrative person could be covered. I am sure your attorney will want to go over the facts in detail.

Good Luck!