Discrimination???

I have an employee who for the past 5 years was the decision maker for the
company since the three owners could not work together. There are approx.
350 employees total at this company. This employee is an officer of the
company (for 10 yrs) and an employee for 25 years total. This employee
was put in the middle by the owners who all respect this employee's ability
to make decisions without taking sides. The employee was involved in every
area of the business. One of the owners is not active in the company's day
to day operations. About 6 months ago, one owner was fired by the other
owners because they could not get along. Since day one, the one owner who
is left to run the business, has restricted this employee's duties to
reviewing inventory reports once a quarter and monitoring plant employee's disciplinary problems.
Though the owner says this employee is the HR Manager now, there is a
tremendous amount of HR work that this employee is not allowed to perform,
such as, monitoring office employee's disciplinary problems because the
owner does not want the young girls written up for their attendance problems. Also, on day one, a younger employee was promoted to the same level as this employee and has been given more responsibility than can be handled by one person effectively.
This owner is not easy to talk to, holds grudges, does not listen. I am concerned this employee is going to become totally frustrated and go see a lawyer for discrimination. The employee is in high 40's. The younger
employee is around in the low to mid 30's. It appears this employee was
great to all of the owners until one left, then the other one decided this employee was threatening their ability to lead. This owner has told this employee that they resent them because the employee was so involved in all
the daily goings on in the business and knew so much. Do you feel this
is a potential lawsuit and if so, how should I handle this situation?
I know the owner will be difficult to talk to about this since the younger employee is always right in the owner's eyes.

Comments

• 15 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • With all due respect this sounds so dysfunctional that no amount of talking to the owner will amount to much. You should though, so that if a lawsuit does happen you aren't accused of knowing about the problem and not saying anything. Anytime someone over 40 is replaced by one under 40 the potential exists.
  • I read this three times and suddenly, like finding a dalmation in a field of black-eyed susans, the writer appeared as one of the characters in the scenario. If I'm wrong, I owe you an apology and lunch. But, if I'm right, the writer is the older woman in the scenario. And, if I'm right, the writer won't be happy here and should dust off her resume. Maybe I need a cup of coffee.
  • I too read this several times. Don, how did you get female??? x:o

• How did I get female? I ain't! Thanks for asking though.
  • ....But, the REAL clue came to me in the second reading when the writer referred to 'writing up the young girls'. A MAN knows he couldn't get away with that one!!
  • Really? Old men calls us that all the time. x:P
  • I agree! But, my comment was that a man WOULDN'T GET AWAY WITH IT! I also think Christy Reeder is about to ask us to report to the principal's office.
  • Don: You got lucky. I was in the school nurse's office complaining about this wretched bug I've acquired (people bug, not computer) that has me using up my vacation/sick days for actually being sick. Yet another summer without a trip to the beach. Sigh ....

HRgeneral: I'd say, tell your friend to RUN! He or she might want to take a lesson from my personal HR Hero - Paula_AZ. See [url]http://www.hrhero.com/employersforum/DCForumID14/1008.html[/url]

Christy Reeder
    Website Managing Editor
    [url]www.HRhero.com[/url]
  • close - very good friend of the older employee -
    I am getting the vibes that this employee will be
    taking my position when I retire in a year. Also,
    yes, this male owner does call the young girls "his
    young girls".Not only that, but he has also been
    heard to say "I'll spank you" among other things!!
  • I AIN'T TOUCHING THIS ONE AGAIN, HRGENERAL. YOUR COFFEE AND LUNCH ARE IN THE MAIL.
  • As an ex-EEOC director, I would love to see this person come in with a complaint. This is a lawsuit just waiting to happen.
  • I said I was not going to weigh back in, but I guess I lied. With warmest regards and absolutely no offense at all to JJ, former EEOC director who said this is a great EEOC charge, and who is no doubt a well meaning and professional gentle man or gentle woman; I cannot help but think that this convoluted, non-specific, overly broad, perceived problem with so few hints of fact or indications of violation is precisely the kind of complaint that the EEOC loves to grab hold of and run off in odd directions with. Then come tons of production demands from them to the employer for everything from 'how many of your plant docks face the sun in the afternoon' to 'supply us with a copy of your organizational chart with indications of how many employees of which religions have their desks nearer the water cooler than the CEO's office'. I am bothered that a career EEOC professional views this posting as a situation worthy of a charge.
  • "... I cannot help but think that this convoluted, non-specific, overly broad, perceived problem with so few hints of fact or indications of violation is precisely the kind of complaint that the EEOC loves to grab hold of and run off in odd directions with."

With all due respect, a male supervisor/manager/CEO referring to female employees as "his young girls," as well as saying "I'll spank you" (to those same employees???) -- if it is regular behavior from him and not just an isolated incident -- could indeed be grounds for a hostile environment sexual harassment charge. The other allegations, if true, are indeed hostile (and yes, dysfunctional) behavior but not necessarily against the law. Courts have ruled, unfortunately, that being a big jerk is not illegal.

So. [b]hrgeneral[/b], is there anyone in your company to whom the owner [i]will[/i] listen? Can that person suggest that such behavior could be very [b]expensive and embarrassing[/b] if an employee were to take offense and sue, even if the company wound up winning? Sometimes explaining the potentially disastrous results of such behavior will get an executive's attention when nothing else can.
  • This same similar situation happened to me. When I could read the writing on the wall I told the owner I could read the writing on the wall. I said that I was sure that neither of us wanted to part company on bad terms nor wanted to incur expensive legal expenses so why don't we talked about terms that will benefit both of us, i.e. severance agreement. I made it very clear in a nice way that I had a clear cut case of discrimination. Don't sell yourself short either, you should be compensated $$ for every year of service. I can't remember what the general rule is, but you have to remember that it could take up to a year to find another job of the same status and pay. Plus make sure that a good recommendation and letter are part of the package with an agreed upon reason why you are leaving that won't impact your job hunt.

I have to warn you it was not an easy process, it took me approximately 3 months to negotiate a deal that worked for both of us. Just as a side note this younger hotshot that took my place is now gone and they have gone through three more HR directors since and it's only been two years. That has to tell you something about how dsyfunctional that place was too.