Problem Supervisor

I am looking for input on a personnel issue we have. We have a supervisor in a small department that, to put it mildly, lacks people skills. She constantly barks at her workers, insists on controlling every minute aspect of the job, plays favorites, and just generally makes it an unpleasant place to work. She acknowledges that she comes across in a poor manner (read bitchy) but says that that is just her and they need to deal with it.

I represent the company and am faced with the task of mediating a lot of the disputes. I have tried to get the lines of communication opened up between the parties but it has not helped. I know that if something is not done, at least two of the three workers will leave. We had two previous workers leave in the last 36 months which just cripples this department because of the learning curve. I now must decide whether to take this matter to the personnel committee which has disciplinary powers over the supervisor.

She is an excellent administrator in that the department meets or exceeds all quotas and she certianly knows the job backwards and forwards. If I do take it to the committee it will be difficult for them to get a flavor of what is going on. None of the conduct taken by itself would warrant action, rather it is the pattern that I see. You should also know that the workers are union but again it does not seem to be a grievable issue. I have gone so far as to suggest that maybe she had other issues that were affecting her and causing this. If that were the case there would be help available through counseling or whatever. The reason I made the suggestion is that it seems to be getting progressivly worse and I see definite bi-polar tendencies.

What thoughts do you have.

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 12-13-01 AT 01:46PM (CST)[/font][p]Interaction certainly is an issue you should be dealing with. Set expectations for her on how she needs to deal with others. It sounds like she has this problem but that otherwise she is a competent sueprvisor.

Have you and she talked about training and other mechanisms for her to learn the skills of appropriate interaction for a supervisor? Don't suggest that she has "other" problems because that sounds like you think she has a mental issue. A statement like that would set a lot people against not wanting to deal with their problems. Stay away from any discussion of psychological problems unless she raises it as an explanation for why she acts the way she does; then it may be "ADA time."

Just take the issue of her behavior, which she recognizes needs to be improved, and both of you identify what management and she can do to bring it into company expectations: That, as I said, should include some training; may be some self-help guides; or, being mentored by another supervisor who is experienced in dealing with inter-relations.
  • Hatchetman,

I am aware of the ADA issues and frankly held off mentioning the other "issues" for quite sometime, months in fact, but it got no better. Since we have an employee assistance program I wanted to remind her of it. The other reason I mentioned it to her is that it seemed like something might be going on outside of work that was influencing her actions. Again, she has never been particularly personable, especially outside of work, but it has gotten extremly bad in the past year.
    As for the training, we just completed a thirty hour supervisory training program in August and it apparently did no good. We have started bi-weekly meetings to try to encourage communication and respect both ways, but it is only getting worse. I was particularly worried initially because one of the other workers is pregnant and seemed to be getting the brunt of her ire. Luckily, I suppose, they are all getting it but I believe that the one gets it more perhaps because she will need to take leave which will of course leave the office short staffed and impact productivity. I did point this out to the supervisor, which is why perhaps she has been more demorcratic in her unpleasantness.
  • I agree with Hatchetman, but I am also concerned that your supervisor is refusing to cooperate with you. Her attitude that they just need to deal with her because "that's the way she is" sounds a little discouraging. Her refusal to work on the communication issue may be cause for discipline in and of itself. As for conveying the feel to your disciplinary committee, the loss of valuable employees and the potential loss of still more should help in conveying the import of the problems to that committee.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 12-13-01 AT 06:50PM (CST)[/font][p]Bill, thanks for the additional information.

Look, if you've discussed her poor "people skills" with her and she hasn't offered up a reason other than "that's the way I am, deal with it!", then you've got to make a decision about her.

Let me say, first, though, EAP is a good idea but it doesn't get her off the hook, if she goes. If you want to mention EAP to her, you can but don't mention it in terms of having any psychological problems. Mention along the following approach.

"I've set the expectations for you. But I want to remind you that if you want to discuss anything that you believe may prevent you from meeting these expectations, I'm available and you can contact our Employee Assistance Program. (So on and so forth about EAP availability.)"

If you have crossed all your "t's" and dotted all your "i's", and this supervisor isn't improving then, as I said, you've got to make the decision. Do you keep her on in that position, recognizing she has skills and abilities you want to use in her supervisory position that outweigh her poor "people skill" or do you remove her from the position (including the option of discharge), because the lack of effective people skills is more detrimental to the company than her positive skills as a supervisor? That's a decision only you and the other managers can make for your company at this time.

• I have seen many cases that started out with a generally difficult supervisor and ended as a discrimination lawsuit. Some employee is going to get fed up and think this supervisor is doing this because I am a __________ (older person, minority, etc.) And believe me, the defense that the supervisor treated everyone poorly is not one you want to make infront of a jury.

The supervisor needs to work on her personal interaction with employees. You may want to send her to some managment training, where she can get evaluated by outside personnel

Good Luck.
  • This is a matter that requires a simple busine$$ solution. You have a supervisor with lousy people skills and a lousy attitude who is running off your employees upon whom I imagine you've spent significant time/buck$ training. Solution: Sit the supervisor down, point out her failings, suggest she take advantage of EAP and tell her she has 60 days to clean up her act or else. Lastly, document.
  • This topic is very timely for me. I have a similar situation. Ours is with a Department Head whose department is exceeding expectations in generating revenue, but I have had complaints from seven of her nine staff members about her "screaming" and backing people into corners, screaming and shaking her finger in their face, demeaning them in front of others, etc. I, too, was concerned about possible legal ramifications. I felt there could be an argument made that the environment was hostile enough to result in any resignation being viewed as a "constructive discharge." I have had two meetingw with this department head and have one scheduled with the entire department in the next couple of days. After reading all of these responses, I feel like I'm on the right track. This has been most helpful.
  • Dottie, you have an obligation to your company and to the other employees to do exactly what you are doing. It has been my experience that just because a person is in a managment position it does not mean they are necessarily any good at. I was in the legal field many years before coming into HR and believe me - just like Bill - you have an explosive situation and the Dept of Labor and a sharp attorney will point out the fact that once the company was aware of the situation it was their duty to take action to correct the problem. My advise to Bill is the same I will pass on to you, "probation then termination" if the issues are not resolved immediately. If you are in an "At will" employment state you don't even need a reason to terminate but investigation and documention of any unprofessional behavior is always warranted to protect you and your company. You're on the right track Dottie!
  • I agree that you need to focus on how this supervisor is affecting the company financially. You should conduct an analysis and show how her attitude is affecting the performance of the employees in her department. This translates into low productivity and turnover which equals $$$$ being lost. The money lost can be calculated by:
    1. number of hours employees are discussing this issue with HR and are not being productive.
    2. number of hours HR person has to deal with this issues.
    3. cost-per-hire and tranining-per-hire analysis of loosing employees.
  • I know what you are going through. We have a supervisor very similiar to yours. We have tried to get him counseling, we have sent him to management training on people skills, we have tried almost everything. I know deep down in side he is a good person, but he has a violent temper. Our last resort is to bite the bullit and let him go. Everyone can be replaced and we want supervisors that will treat people with dignity and respect AND get the production out. We hate to do this but maybe it will be for his benefit as well as ours.
  • When are we finally going to stop making excuses for our supervisors when they lack people skills? We've all worked for that type of "supervisor", and oh how many times have wished "why is nothing being done? Why isn't anyone listening?". Deal with her personality? and allow three others to leave? I support probation and termination!
  • Not knowing the structure and size of this company, you may have another option besides termination. We have all dealt with supervisors that think they know the right way to manage but don't.

But you pointed out that this person really knows how to get the job done and is probably a good asset to the company when it comes to production.

You could place her in a middle management position that takes her away from the workforce and puts her strickly in production. That way she only deals with an immediate supervisor. That person, of course, would need to be able to deal with her flaws and learn to translate her skills into the efficient happy workforce your looking for.