Company 'sponsored' charitable contributions

In past years my company has offered (on a voluntary basis) the Salvation Army's Angel program for underprivileged children during the holidays. Employees get the name(s) of "Angels" from The Salvation Army with a child(ren)'s name(s)and vital information such as gender and size. Then the employees purchase items to give to these children.
This year the Salvation Army has made some comments in reference to alternative lifestyles that has offended some of our employees. One of the managers wants to advise her employees not to use th Salvation Army and give instead to her partner's "Godchild". As a company we would like to offer the Salvation Army program in addition to some other needy children in the community. This way employees will have a choice of whom they would like to contribute. Does anyone have any ideas for the necessary criteria and what limits would we have on family members or 'close' friends? What type of exposure do you see?

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I have a real problem with a manager asking subordinates to give money to her favorite kid. The employees would feel coerced. I'd require it to be through a charity (there are plenty out there). Otherwise, you'll have to make some very, very hard decisions about who gets toys this Christmas and who doesn't.

James Sokolowski
    Senior Editor
    M. Lee Smith Publishers
  • I would stick to bona-fide charitable organizations. Perhaps one large national charity that everyone would recognize(if most of your employees liked contributing to the Salvation Army, why not keep that option)and one small local one. My company, for instance, "adopted" the local children's home as our special charity, but we also sponsor participation in fundraising for some national organizations.