Noncompete regulations for TX & IL

I am trying to locate information on noncompete sales agreements for TX and IL and I am running into a brick wall. Does anyone have any tips for looking up this information?

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I assume you mean how to draft an agreement for salespersons that includes an enforceable non-competition clause.

Texas law about non-compete agreements is very technical. The American Bar Association has published a good book called "Covenants Not to Compete: A State by State Survey", that discusses the law in each of the fifty states. But even if you research the issue and find information, your company needs to have a Texas attorney who is experienced with non-competition agreements help you draft the agreements.

I have worked on a lot of non-competition cases, and when the agreements have not been drafted by a Texas attorney with experience in these matters, the agreements have not been enforceable in Texas.

Good Luck!

Theresa Gegen
    Andrews & Kurth, LLP
    Dallas, Texas
    214-659-4400

• Does anyone have any info on this same subject in Denver, Colorado.
    We want to but a business in the same line of work but have signed a non -compete. Is it enforceable here. The company we work for currently has closed about 5 locations nationwide and are currently in chapter 11.